- Select a route and objective suitable for even the weakest party members.
- Get a weather forecast and consider its consequence on your plans.
- Leave a route card with your personal details, the intended route, your equipment and estimated time of arrival at your destination with someone responsible.
- Wear suitable clothing make sure you have warm windproof and waterproof clothing whatever the time of year. Wear good walking boots with suitable soles.
- Carry basic survival equipment, food and spare clothes for the time of year. Remember conditions can change quickly on the hills and even a mid summer day can have gale force winds and rain.
- Always carry a map, compass and torch and learn how to navigate before going onto the high fells
- Enjoy your day take home nothing but good memories and photographs and leave nothing behind except gentle footprints.
↑ Return to Advice
Preparation For Going Into The Fells
Permanent link to this article: http://www.wmrt.org.uk/advice/preparation-for-going-into-the-fells/