1 in 2007
Unknown Location
Other Agencies

The team were paged by Workington Police regarding a report of walkers failing to turn up. The team leader contacted the police and as a follow up, a committee page was put out at 5.20 p.m. advising that there was a missing persons report and that the team leader was gathering more information – at the time of writing this ( 6.06 p.m.), the committee are now sat at home waiting to hear whether the missing persons have turned up or we have to go out and search with a full call-out. In these types of situation I make up a flask and sandwiches and wait to hear whether we are to sit on it, go out or stand down. The weather outside is very wet and windy so the preference is very much the latter. I will update the website and let you know what happened…………this is mountain rescue ‘real-time’………….Update 7.03 p.m. – the missing 69 year old walker turned up safe and well at the Old Dungeon Gill Hotel (ODG). The group of 16 set off from Scafell Pike summit at 1.30 p.m. heading back down to Broad Crag Col. When the missing person failed to catch the group up, 4 of the group went back up to the summit. They were last heard of at 3.30 p.m. on the Corridor route. The missing person turned up but the group of 4 are still somewhere on the mountain, most probably well out of the Wasdale area. As the group were heading for Langdale, the incident has now been passed over to the Langdale Ambleside team. The Wasdale involvement closed at around 7.30 p.m. and although the team leader was continuously on the phone from 5.00 p.m., this particular incident has been included on the website as a 9(a) – i.e. noted for information but not logged as an official Wasdale incident as ‘wheels did not turn’ and team members did not venture onto the fell.Update 9.00 p.m. – the missing 4 walkers turned up safe and well at 8.10 p.m. at the Old Dungeon Gill Hotel

Incident started at 16:55 and ended at 20:10 making 3.3 hrs in total. There was 1 Wasdale team member involved. Total rescuer hours: 3.3